Warm Brussels Sprouts Salad
Rich bacon, healthy fats and antioxidant-loaded vegetables and spices make this the perfect muscle-building side for your protein of choice.
By Elke Nelson, Ph.D. | Photo by Robert Reiff
- 24 ounces fresh Brussels sprouts
- 1 1/2 tablespoons coconut oil or grass-fed butter
- 1 apple, chopped
- 3 pieces bacon, cooked and chopped
- 2–3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon Himalayan pink sea salt
- Rinse Brussels sprouts to clean.
- Cut the majority of the base off sprouts and discard. Remove outermost layer of sprouts and discard.
- Slice some sprouts in half and others very thinly, moving from right to left vertically across the sprout (similar to slicing an onion).
- Add coconut oil or grass-fed butter to a pan and heat over medium heat.
- Add apple, bacon, garlic and sprouts.
- Sprinkle with salt and garlic powder.
- Cook 15 to 20 minutes over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until Brussels sprout pieces have wilted to about half their original size. The sprouts can be slightly browned, if desired.
- Remove from heat and enjoy.
Serves 6. Per serving:
Protein: 4 grams
Carbs: 12 grams
Fat: 4 grams