Pump Quiz: Hamstring Training
Go hog wild on your hamstrings training by answering these 3 challenging questions that’ll ensure complete rear-thigh development.
By Bill Geiger, MA
1) When doing romanian deadlifts for hamstrings, which points of execution are most critical?
A) THE BAR SHOULD BE AWAY FROM YOUR SHINS AND YOU SHOULD ROUND YOUR BACK.
B) THE BAR SHOULD BE CLOSE TO YOUR SHINS AND YOU SHOULD ROUND YOUR BACK.
C) THE BAR SHOULD BE AWAY FROM YOUR SHINS AND YOU SHOULD NEVER ROUND YOUR BACK.
D) THE BAR SHOULD BE CLOSE TO YOUR SHINS AND YOU SHOULD NEVER ROUND YOUR BACK.
2) To get more hamstrings involvement on your quads exercises like hack squats and leg presses, what should you be doing on those exercises?
A) USING A STANCE HIGHER AND WIDER UP ON THE FOOTPLATE
B) PRESSING UP ON YOUR TOES TO RAISE YOUR HEELS OFF THE PLATE
C) BRING THE FOOTPLATE DOWN ONLY A FEW INCHES ON EACH REP
D) ALL OF THE ABOVE
3) Which hamstring exercise makes the best complement to the lying leg curl in your hamstring workout?
A) STANDING LEG CURL
B) SEATED LEG CURL
C) ROMANIAN DEADLIFT
1. Bodybuilders commonly confuse the stiff-legged and romanian deadlifts; they’re fairly similar but one targets the lower back and the other the hamstrings/glute tie-in. To make sure you do the RDL correctly, never round your lower back — keep it flat throughout — and keep the bar close to your legs all the way up and down. The correct answer is D. The stiff-legged is done with a slightly rounded back with the bar well away from your shins.
2. Much like taking a wide, sumo stance during deadlifts helps engage the hamstrings and glutes to a greater degree, placing your feet high and wide on the footplate will allow a similar shift in muscular recruitment. Research shows that a high and wide stance stimulates the inner hamstrings more than a low, shoulder-width stance. Pressing up on your toes targets the calves, and bringing the footplate down just a few inches limits hamstring development. Hence the correct answer is A.
3. Since the hamstrings cross both the knee and hip joints, and the lying leg curl works them from the knee joint, your best choice is the move that works the hams from the hip joint. That’s the romanian deadlift. The correct answer is C.