By Elke Nelson, Ph.D. | Photo by Robert Reiff
- 6 eggs (room temperature)
- 4 tablespoons organic raw honey
- 2 teaspoons organic vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon Himalayan pink sea salt
- 2/3 cup organic coconut flour
- 1/3 cup tapioca flour
- 1/5 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/3 cup water
- coconut oil or grass-fed butter
- optional: cup chopped nuts of choice (e.g., pecans, walnuts)
- Beat the eggs in a large mixing bowl, then toss in the remaining wet ingredients, except the water.
- Grab a separate bowl and mix the dry ingredients, then slowly stir the latter into the wet ingredients. Let the batter sit for 10 minutes while the coconut flour thickens.
- Now add the water to the batter and stir thoroughly. (Depending on your desired consistency and how long you allow the batter to sit, you can add a little more water than the recipe calls for.)
- Grease the pan with a tablespoon of coconut oil or grass-fed butter and place over medium heat.
- Spoon batter onto the pan to form pancakes, frying them until each side is golden brown (three to five minutes per side).
- Repeat with remaining batter, adding coconut oil or grass-fed butter to the pan for each batch.
Chopped berries, nuts, nut butters, raw honey, molasses, maple syrup
Serves five (per serving): 395 calories, 11 grams protein, 31 grams carbs, 8 grams fat